Windows down and music up — that’s how I roll in the summertime.
Which is fortunate, because the air conditioning in my car has been broken all summer. I’m in no hurry to get it fixed because I rarely use it. If the radio or speakers stopped working, however, emergency repairs would be in
The first thing I check when test-driving a vehicle isn’t under the hood. (I wouldn’t know what to look for there.) As soon as the key turns in the ignition, I search for the radio’s power button.
After all, a music enthusiast needs to keep her priorities straight.
I love driving through the country with the wind rushing through my hair and the sound of my favorite tunes drowning out the cares of life (and any weird noises my car may start making at any given time).
But even more so I love — when I’m not driving — to close my eyes and lose myself in the music, especially at a live concert. It doesn’t matter who’s performing or what genre or category of music they perform — even if it isn’t what I listen to on a regular basis. If it’s live music, it’s almost always good music, in my book. And if it’s an outdoor concert, even better.
I caught part of Black Tie Stereo’s set Saturday at the Country Bazaar at St. Benedict’s Church in Newton Township and wished I could have stayed for the whole thing. It was my first time hearing the local band, although I’d heard good things about them.
That’s one thing I love most about summertime in the Abingtons and northeast Pennsylvania — there are plenty of local outdoor events featuring live music throughout the season.
Some of my favorites are the Lakeside Wednesday Concert Series at Hillside Park, the Dalton Fire Company Carnival and Music on the Lawn at the Lake Winola United Methodist Church.
I also enjoy summer road trips with friends to music festivals. Of course, a requirement of any summer road trip is a good playlist.
I asked the Suburban editorial team to share some favorite summertime tunes from any era and any genre, and we compiled them into a summer playlist. Here’s our top 20, in no particular order:
1.“Surfer Girl” by The Beach Boys
2. “Summer of ‘69” by Bryan Adams
3. “Summertime” by Billie Holiday
4. “Here Comes the Sun” by The Beatles
5. “Girls in Their Summer Clothes,” by Bruce Springsteen
6. “That Summer Feeling” by Jonathan Richman
7. “Summer Breeze” by Seals & Crofts
8. “Magic” by
9. “Summer in the City” by The Lovin’ Spoonful
10. “One of These Nights” by The
11. “California” by Hawk Nelson
12. “Saltwater Heart” by Switchfoot
13. “Girls Like You” by Maroon 5
14. “So Will I” by Hillsong
15. “Perfect” by Ed Sheeran
16. “Penny Lane” by The Beatles
17. “Somewhere over the Rainbow” from “The Wizard of Oz”
18. “Never Enough” (and the entire “The Greatest Showman” soundtrack)
19. “Little Boxes” by Malvina Reynolds
20.“Winded” by Black Tie Stereo
Now that’s a list to make you turn up the volume and roll down the windows.
Do you have a favorite song or songs to add to the list? We’d love to hear from you. Send an email to email@example.com.